Cannabis Greenhouse

Campus Resources


UC Davis Bioanalysis and Pharmacokinetics Core Facility

This Core Facility provides bioanalysis of diverse analytes in blood and other human and animal tissues. They are setting up methods for quantifying CBD, THC, and their metabolites in various matrices, and depending on demand may expand the portfolio to terpenes and even some pesticides and mycotoxins in the future. 

University of California Davis Medical Center
Suite 1204, Research I
4635 2nd Avenue
Sacramento, CA 95817

Biopharmaceutical Research Company

UC Davis has partnered with Biopharmaceutical Research Company (BRC) a federally compliant pharmaceutical company to analyze the chemical and biological profiles of cannabis for the benefit of law enforcement, health care providers and scientific professionals. BRC is registered with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, and can work with UC Davis researchers to analyze legally acquired cannabis materials in BRC’s labs in Castroville (near Monterey) to understand the chemical composition of tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, cannabidiol or CBD, and other cannabinoids. Contact for more information. 


Environmental Health and Safety

As cannabis is a controlled substance listed in Schedule I, a site-specific DEA investigator registration is required to conduct cannabis research. This said, the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA), a division of the National Institute of Health, allows and funds studies pertaining to the therapeutic uses of cannabis and its chemical constituents. NIDA contracts with the University of Mississippi to grow cannabis intended for research study use. For information on obtaining a Schedule I license or accessing the NIDA Drug Supply Program, contact the Biological Safety Office at, or (530) 752-1493. The campus authorization process for controlled substances can be found here

Please note, the FDA has approved one cannabis-derived drug product: Epidiolex (cannabidiol), and three synthetic cannabis-related drug products: Marinol (dronabinol), Syndros (dronabinol), and Cesamet (nabilone), and campus researchers can legally obtain the approved versions of these cannabis-derived drug products. They will need to order them by using the campus DEA registration, which is for Schedules II through V. Contact the Biological Safety Office for more information. 


Interdisciplinary Research Support

The highly-regarded Interdisciplinary Research Support ("the good IRS") team within the Office of Research coordinates and implements a variety of research development activities that enable faculty, researchers, and administrators to attract extramural research funding, create research relationships, and develop and implement strategies that increase the competitiveness of UC Davis. They are much in demand and have an internal process to determine who they will support. More info at